Saturday, January 31, 2009

Zuppe Italiano

My friend Cathy recently dropped off a batch of yummy Sausage Tortellini soup her personal chef made (that would be her husband) and it prompted me to dig out this old recipe for a soup I make that is very, very similar. I love the flavor of this soup. It is very filling and goes a long way.

Zuppe Italiano
1-1/2-2 pounds of Italian sausage (I use one package of Johnsonville Sweet Sausage).
olive oil, if needed
2 medium onions, chopped (I use one)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use one)
5 c. Beef Stock (or vegetable)
3-1/2 to 4 c. chopped tomatoes (I use the two largest cans of petite diced tomatoes)
1-1/2 c. of dry red wine
3/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 medium green pepper, chopped (I use red or yellow)
2 c. shell or bow-tied noodles (or one package of frozen tortellini)
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese for garnish

Prick the sausages with a fork and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the sausages,cool, remove casing and slice into 1/4" pieces. Saute in large pot. Remove when browned leaving 3 Tbs of fat in the pan (add olive oil if necessary). Add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes. Add tomatoes,stock,wine,herbs and reserved sausages. Simmer for 25 minutes. Add peppers, zucchini and noodles. Cook for 25 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with grated cheese.

No comments: