Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I know you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to hear from me and I bet some of you have been on my blog more than once checking on me. :)

Welllllll.......to start the day off I headed out in the snow and very cold temps in the dark only to "crawl" to the hospital with all the other cars out at that time of the day. Well... because of the snow and slippery conditions I think that the hired help was late getting in. I even made it in before the receptionist in the lab was there. Not quite the routine start that I usually have. Got checked in and waited until they called my name. One stick..... ack.... no good! Couldn't get a blood return.... crap! The lab tech puts a warm compress on my arm in hopes that some big fat vein will appear. ("Have you drank a lot of water?" she says. "It helps to hydrate your veins." What the heck, I am barely awake and breathing at 7 am with only a half a cup of coffee choked down on the ride in. ) She calls for her partner to give it a try. I knew this would be a success as I had this tech last week and she is GOOD! She got an IV line with no problem. I am sent on my way over to the day hospital. When I arrived to my dismay the other 2 people that had their labs drawn are still sitting in the waiting room. Not a good sign when the people ahead of you are still sitting and waiting. I head to the desk to check in. The receptionist here says "Hi Gail, back for another try this week?" Wow! She remembered who I am and that means that I have been there way too much if she now recognized me. LOL I plant my butt in a chair furthest away from the floor to ceiling windows that make up the entire outside wall of this building and they are no longer heating because of the budget cuts(that's a joke but could be true haha). The time is 8:05 am. Time passes, my hands and feet are no frozen solid and I get up to walk around and get my circulation going. The receptionist is talking to a co-worker about how cold it is. I mention that I feel like an ice cube and she runs to get me a warm blanket. Love those warm blankets! At 9:20 I hear my name. A nurse is headed my way with papers in her hand. "Is it a go?" I ask. "Yes" she says. YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!!!
I want to do cartwheels in the waiting room and give the nurse a hug I am so happy. I feel like I am on cloud nine heading in to get my toxic drug treatment. Now tell me if that isn't crazy I don't know what is!!!!!! All of a sudden I had 3 text messages from various friends wondering what is going on, one of them was "please tell me you are having chemo right now!" (one my "sisters" checking in on me.)My treatment was quick and painless. I left the day hospital at 11:30 and headed over to see my friend Connie at Small Stones who was working. She was almost excited as me that I was able to have chemo. (us "sisters" have this common bond. We understand each other like no one else. One of the blessings I have found in this journey--"sisters.") I stopped for lunch (I won't say what is was. I was ravenous having not eaten breakfast. It wasn't the most healthy but I will blame that on the steroids making me so hungry). Nap time for me! I am feeling great now! Just incredibly thankful and happy that I was able to get through another chapter.
ONE MORE TO GO!!!!! WHOOHOOOO! YIPPPEEEE!!!!!! Stay tuned for more updates. Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes!

Happy Wednesday

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail,
I am so GLAD you were able to have your treatment today! Now keep doing what you did this past week, and try to keep those counts up. I am glad you stopped by SmallStones. It was so good to see you. God does answer prays, and believe me there are LOTS of us praying for you. He is going to get tired of hearing your name. Get some rest, stay warm, and eat that protein. Hugs, Connie

Netherfieldmom said...

Yea! Yea! I'm thinking those same thoughts--my last one is 1/23--then it's back to MY life! Hope your next couple days go quickly by.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail,
I am very happy for you that you were able to get your treatment yesterday! Nothing comes easy for you lately, does it? This is a very long road but with your determination, you will make it! Today is my one year cancerversary and I celebrate it knowing the road I traveled last year and how very different everything could have turned out. I hope to be able to talk to you soon. Take care. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Gail,
What a super exciting event! It must have been me sending you those 600 white blood cells so I will do it again next time. It can't hurt, right? You have all these new friends from your common bond and I am glad since it seems to help you so much. I will try to go to the front porch this weekend in your honor! Hope you are snuggly warm in your house with your kids to help you out today since there is no school and you probably don't feel so great now.
Love you,
Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for you Gail!! I hope you are feeling ok now. MJ