Friday, February 13, 2009

Baked Chicken Reuben

I love sauerkraut! As a kid I remember my grandparents, Fern and Otto, actually making it in their basement (they were German)and the whole house reeked of cabbage. My grandmother would put it up in glass mason jars and store it downstairs in their cellar. Homemade kraut was delicious right out of the container! This recipe is really really old. I have had it forever and haven't made it in a long time. Even if you don't like sauerkraut, try it, it is really delicious. This is super simple to make although requires some ingredients you may not have on hand all the time such as the kraut.

Baked Chicken Reuben
4 chicken breasts (I use both boneless and bone in for this recipe)
salt and pepper to taste
1-16 oz can of sauerkraut, drained and squeezed out (I like Franks Bavarian Sweet kraut with caraway)
4 slices of swiss cheese (I used reduced fat slices)
1/4-1/2 c. of Thousand Island dressing (I use more than this)
Place chicken in greased baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with kraut and then a slice of cheese. Pour dressing over all. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until chicken is done. Boneless shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, bone in approximately 45 minutes. If I use the bone-in chicken I place the sauerkraut under the chicken then top with cheese and dressing, boneless I place the sauerkraut on top of the chicken,then cheese and dressing.

No comments: