Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Update on Chemo

Today I woke up with a completely different feeling about the chemo and what I should do. I was now leaning towards trying the Taxotere again. After talking with my SIL, Sandy, and listening to what her thoughts were, she reconfirmed my thoughts and I just needed to talk with my onc.
Maybe I don't need to make the choice, the choice will be made for me. By trying the Taxotere tomorrow it will be determined if I can tolerate it or not. If I can't tolerate it, I have no choice but to switch to Adriamycin. If I can tolerate it great! I at least need to give it another try and hopefully we will get through it. The adriamycin scares me with the heart risk. My luck has been shit and I would be the in the 1% that has a problem. My friend, Connie, also had the same type of reaction to the same chemo drugs, and I spoke with her the other night. My conversation with her the other night has been in the back of my mind since this has happened to me. She gave me hope that I will be able to tolerate the drug and get through the treatment just like she did, no matter how long it takes. It really helps to know of someone who has been through this and get their advice and opinions.

I just got off the phone with Dr. Charlson, and he gave me reassurance that we need to try one more time. Taxotere is the better drug for me, and like I am thinking he said it is reasonable to try again and see what happens. He will give me more premeds and slow the drip, and we will cross our fingers, pray to God and whomever else is the patron saints of chemotherapy and health ( is there one??? LOL) and hope my body tolerates the drugs.

Chemo is scheduled for 9 am tommorrow morning. I will know relatively shortly after infusion starts if this will work...... stay tuned for more...... the saga continues........ I hope I can sleep tonight! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail,

Wow, I can't believe all you have gone through, you have been such a good camper! I am so glad you have such wonderful support and friends to help guide you through all your difficult decisions. It sounds like you made the right call for tomorrow.

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Take care, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Gail,

I'm glad you have made a decision and are comfortable with it. That is very important. I'll text you at some point to check in and see how things good. Hoping for the best!

Sara

Anonymous said...

Gail,
I think the plan you are taking is the way I go, very smart thinking! You are right, the body and taxotere will let you know if you are going to be able to continue. I will keep you in my prayers that the slower infusion, and your body it will allow it to happen. My prayers are with you! You can do it, i just hope your body will let you! Connie